Search This Blog

Friday, June 29, 2018

Gospel reflection of the week:

First, let me say that my illustration is not even close to what happened to Paul, but perhaps the principle is the same.  The apostle Paul had some injustices happen to him in Acts 21. I bring this up because it seems in my day that people are always fighting for their ‘rights’ and getting angry when people do them wrong.  Even confessing Christians fall into this category many times.  People get angry at their neighbor because of loud music, un-mowed grass, shooting fireworks late at night, and etc.  People today seem to have something within them that makes them think that the world revolves around them and that if something happens contrary to what they deem right, then they are filled with anger at the person who went contrary to them.

What did Paul do?  He was converted for sure.  He loved Jesus.  He was concerned about men’s souls.  He preached the gospel.  He went on missions to preach the gospel.  In Acts 21 he receives a negative response to his preaching.  They ‘seized Paul’ and ‘dragged’ him out of the temple.  They sought to kill him.  They commenced to ‘beating him’.  He was ‘arrested’.  He was ‘bound with two chains’.  How did Paul respond to these injustices?  Paul said, “I beg you, permit me to speak to the people”.  With all the injustice his only desire was to make them aware of the gospel.  After he shared his testimony they were even more angry. 

There is no record that Paul ever tried to get even or to be recompensed for the wrongs that were done to him.  Paul’s view of God, the gospel, the souls of men, and eternity was of far more importance than personal rights.  

I learned this lesson on Wednesday night after church.  I had a burden for my neighbor and wanted to share with him.  He likes to look at the stars and has a telescope so I went over to view the moon and Saturn with him at about 9:30pm.  I wanted to share Psalm 19 with him.  I mentioned that I would come over about that time and he said that would be great.  On my way over to his house his dogs came out and one of them bit me. 






It is at this point I had to determine whether I should defend my rights, get angry, or deflect things away from my pain for the greater cause of my neighbor’s soul.  By the grace of God, I was able to control my anger and ended up spending a bit of time with my neighbor looking through a telescope.  Once the viewing process was done I was able to relay Psalm 19 and talk about General Revelation and Special Revelation.  I pray that God uses this scenario to soften my neighbors heart and that ultimately he and his family will come to know and worship King Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment