Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Optimism Resulting from Meditation




Optimism Resulting from Meditation

Every Christian battles against some type of sin. There is something in the life of the Christian that continually makes them aware of their deficiencies and their great need of grace.  I am a person who has battled with pessimism and negativity.  It is a strange thing for me and for years I just accepted that that is just the way the Lord made me.  However, as I was studying this summer through a few different studies, I made a discovery.  Pessimism and negativity are fruit sins in my life and the root of the problem is unbelief and selfishness.  I noticed that my unbelief caused me to have a low view of others, because at the heart of the matter I did not believe that God could accomplish certain things in some people’s lives.  I would then embrace the thought that it did not matter what I said or did that those people would not listen anyway.  I now see that my view was a fruit of unbelief.  I do not know whether a person will listen or not, but I know that God can make them listen and He can change their life through the means of His Word. Secondly, much of my complaining at home, church, and anywhere else was a result of me not getting my way.  The root of this sin is selfishness and now I see that I need to die to self and seek for God to get His way.  Lastly, instead of submitting to the thought that this is the way God made me, I decided to try something.  I decided to memorize and meditate upon the Word of God and ask Him to cut the root of my sins in order that the bad fruit would stop being produced. 

I put my mind and heart to Psalm 145:1-21 over the past month and the following are my abbreviated conclusions.


Here is what I am commanded to do:
1)   Extol and bless God
2)   Every day I must bless and praise God  
3)   I must search out the unsearchableness of God
4)   I must make known the acts of God to the next generation
5)   I must meditate on His character and works
6)   I must declare His greatness
7)   I must bless Him
8)   I must speak of His kingdom and tell of His power
9)   I must make known His deeds and the glorious splendor of His kingdom
10)I must look to Him (meaning trust Him fully)
11)I must call on Him in truth
12)I must fear Him
13)I must love Him
14)I must speak His praise


Here is the reason that I should continually do the above:
1)   He is worthy
2)   He is eternal
3)   He is BIG
4)   He is worthy (yes, this is twice)
5)   He is worthy (yes, this is three times)
6)   He is great
7)   He is famous, good, and righteous
8)   He is gracious, merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love
9)   He is good to all and His mercy is over all
10)He is glorious
11)He is omnipotent
12)He acts and He possesses an eternal kingdom
13)He is eternal
14)He is compassionate
15)He is the God of providence
16)He is the God of providence (yes, 2ndtime)
17)He is perfect
18)He is attentive 
19)He is accessible
20)He protects and He is just
21)He is holy!

The actions/deeds/works of God are mentioned in Psalm 145:4 (2x), 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 (2x), 15, 16, 17, 19, and 20.

A month of meditation and memorization have had a profound affect upon my heart.  I do not know that I will be called an optimist anytime soon, but I know that my heart has been affected.  I feel that God has been chopping at the root of my sin and that bad fruit is falling off of the tree.  I am going to continue this process until I am convinced of victory. 


Whatever your sins may be.  Find a text that give clear revelation of the character of God and a text that speaks to the root of your sin and invest much time in meditation and memorization.  I know from experience now, that to complain while meditating on God’s Word that says, “Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever”, is very difficult to do.  The Psalmist says, “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:11). I think he is right.  Put it to the test and see if he is speaking the truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment