Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Focus on Christ

Being Transformed by Vision

“As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness” (Psalms 17:15 ESV).

            Years ago I was a fairly active motocross racer.  I raced numerous weekend amateur races here in my area.  I heard of a race that was going to held at Lake Whitney Raceway about 100 miles south of where I live.  I had always wanted to race on that track, but the races were always on Sunday so I never went.  They were putting on a race called the “Ironman” one weekend, and it was to be held on a Saturday.  The race was in the month of July and the format was to race for 1 hour non-stop (except for refueling).  July and Texas means hot and it was very hot.  I entered the race and gave it all I had and it was brutal.  The heat, the dust, the sweat, the fatigue, and the danger were challenging.  When all was said and done I had won the event.  I was so happy.  Well, I was happy until they gave out the awards.  I received a medal that they hang around a person’s neck that looks similar to the medals people receive in the Olympics.  The difference was, my medal was plastic and probably cost them $2 to make.  The medal did not equal the effort that it took for me to win the event.  I was disappointed!

            In Christianity I am racing for a different reward.  I am not looking for money, trophies, or fame.  I have set my life upon the obtaining of the Lord Jesus Christ.  The race may be long or short, filled with afflictions or joys, walked in valleys or on mountaintops, and the only way to win will be to endure to the end.  The motive for this race is to be able to see the face of the One whom my soul loves and to see His face in righteousness.  Surely, there is nothing greater than to experience the eternal joy of being in His presence.   

            The great thing about this Christian race is that the end prize is full satisfaction.  There will be no $2 trinkets given out, no $2 trophies, and no temporal fan-fare.  The great prize of Christianity will be 100% satisfaction in being like Him.  Oh, to be like Christ is the heartbeat of my Christianity.  A day is on the horizon in which I will no longer be affected by sin, deterioration, age, sorrow, or tears.  A day is coming in which I will experience eternal dwelling with fullness of joy.  

            People ask questions like the following: “What have you been up to lately?”, “What did you do today?”, “What is your plan of the day?”, and “What are you doing tomorrow?”  I have an answer for all of these.  I am pressing on for the upward prize.  I am pitching my moving tent one day’s march nearer home (Lloyd-Jones quote).  Today, I am being transformed a little more into the image of Christ.  I am moving closer to heaven and I will not be fully satisfied until I arrive home. Yes, to live for Christ is all gain! I can only be satisfied with Him!    

“Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you” (Psalms 73:25 ESV).

No comments:

Post a Comment